Top Free Messengers for Windows in 2022
For a seamless way to message your family and friends, you need free chat apps available across multiple platforms. Ideally, on both mobile and desktop. We are going to have a look at the best free messengers for Windows to help you choose the right one for yourself.
With Facebook being one of the most popular social media platforms in the world, it makes sense to use it on a desktop to keep in touch with your contacts. Facebook Messenger may not come come with the plethora of features seen on other messaging software, but it is a popular texting and calling tool nonetheless.
- Easier communication
- Facebook Rooms for video conferencing
- Chat mirroring
- Can be used for collaboration
- Privacy protection may be somewhat challenging
- The app may take up a lot of space
WhatsApp is hands-down one of the most popular communication software worldwide. It is available in both mobile and desktop versions and also features a simplified web app that you can use directly in your browser – an excellent option for users who want to connect from any possible platform. WhatsApp can be easily downloaded from the Microsoft Store.
- Mirrors conversations from mobile devices
- Secured connection
- No double usage of memory
- Message cancellation
- Doesn’t support group calls or video calls
- Can be used only if the mobile app installed as well
Telegram is another popular chat software similar to WhatsApp. The desktop version is much more minimal than the mobile version, but you’ll still be able to send texts or make calls. As you’d expect, it syncs your messages across different platforms and keeps a history of your chats. One of its biggest advantages is the fact that users don’t have to disclose their phone numbers to their contacts, making it a safer choice for everyone.
- Enhanced privacy
- Unlimited space
- Self–destructing messages
- Persistent conference calls
- Doesn’t use open-source servers and logs your IP address and other data
- Only uses end-to-end encryption for secret, self-destructing chats
WeChat might not have the same worldwide popularity as the previous three messengers we've mentioned, but it is the number one chatting app in China. Its features and functionality are similar to WhatsApp, making it very intuitive to use, but the one that makes it stand out is the screenshot tool that simplifies sharing information within teams. WeChat offers its users a web version that you can access from a browser and a separate desktop version that you can download and install on all Windows versions.
- Intuitive layout
- Multiple communication channels
- Screenshot tool
- No message mirroring
- Privacy settings may be lost when switching from mobile to the desktop version
Initially beloved by gamers, Discord today allows business managers and teams to create various channels with different levels of permissions for various users. You can use it on desktop and mobile, and even on game consoles for various purposes, including just chatting with your loved ones.
- Channel variety
- Screen-sharing features
- Excellent voice and video quality
- Many features are designed for gamers only
With this in mind, download and create an account on each of the programs above – this will help you stay on top of your business and be ready to chat with your clients as well as family and friends on whatever chat software they use.