Topic: Does any one use private p2p software?

I am trying to find the best private p2p software and write a comparision article. Here's a summary of what I have found so far:
- gigatribe: unknown network, windows only, free and paid, pull based technology, cant share individual files [only folder], fast
- binfer: unknown protocol, all platforms, free but limited to 4 GB per month, push based technology, cant share folders but drag an drop of many files, fast
- pando: torrents, windows only, free and paid, torrent based technology, sends torrent of shared files by email, slow

Any other good one's I have missed? I am sure there must be others, only I am looking for really good and fast ones...

Thanks for helping out..

Re: Does any one use private p2p software?

Hi dsk,

The best one I've found is Shareaza, but be careful, the latest version is 2.5.2.0 ...........I just checked!!!!. On my update list from Software Informer, it is marked "Shareaza Plus 2.5.2(latest:6.1)" This is not true, because I tried to update on the update tab on Shareaza, & got the message "no new version detected" All this to say that if you see a version of Shareaza later than 2.2.5, it's a fake!!!! Shareaza already had to move from the panthera project to Sourceforge when their logo & operating system were copied & put on the net by a bunch of crooks who had no other aim but to infest peoples pc's & make lotsa money. So, the real Shareaza is a brilliant soft and does everything it's supposed to do, but watch out for possible fake ones.

Go to:-     https://sourceforge.net.    for the real Shareaza wink

P.S. Lotsa peeps are trying to sell Shareaza on the net, don't buy it, it's free software.........:)

Can you do private sharing with Shareaza [from what I read, it cant]? For example, I want to share video files only with 3-4 of my friends. I dont want these files to be indexed in any torrent or downloadable by anyone else...

I am specifically looking for private sharing tools. I know there are tons of public torrent based p2p clients.

John wrote:

Hi dsk,

The best one I've found is Shareaza, but be careful, the latest version is 2.5.2.0 ...........I just checked!!!!. On my update list from Software Informer, it is marked "Shareaza Plus 2.5.2(latest:6.1)" This is not true, because I tried to update on the update tab on Shareaza, & got the message "no new version detected" All this to say that if you see a version of Shareaza later than 2.2.5, it's a fake!!!! Shareaza already had to move from the panthera project to Sourceforge when their logo & operating system were copied & put on the net by a bunch of crooks who had no other aim but to infest peoples pc's & make lotsa money. So, the real Shareaza is a brilliant soft and does everything it's supposed to do, but watch out for possible fake ones.

Go to:-     https://sourceforge.net.    for the real Shareaza wink

P.S. Lotsa peeps are trying to sell Shareaza on the net, don't buy it, it's free software.........:)

Hi dsk,
        Sorry to have jumped in there with Shareaza so quick without reading your post thouroughly, (I skipped on the word private). I'm so impressed with Shareaza, that I'm ready to recommend it indiscriminately, but you're right, I searched all the tabs & options, and there seems no way to use it privately.(maybe there is, but if so, I can't find out where)
        So, to make up for my lacune, here's a link to a private p2p soft:-
                                                                                                                                   https://sourceforge.net/projects/retroshare/reviews

Hope this is of some use to you neutral

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the link. Installed it and on the first step, in create profile, it crashed. Have you tried it? Has it worked for you?

John wrote:

Hi dsk,
        Sorry to have jumped in there with Shareaza so quick without reading your post thouroughly, (I skipped on the word private). I'm so impressed with Shareaza, that I'm ready to recommend it indiscriminately, but you're right, I searched all the tabs & options, and there seems no way to use it privately.(maybe there is, but if so, I can't find out where)
        So, to make up for my lacune, here's a link to a private p2p soft:-
                                                                                                                                   https://sourceforge.net/projects/retroshare/reviews

Hope this is of some use to you neutral