Topic: protection

Hi,can anybody tell me,please,if all these programs-Cyber Defender,Paretologic,RegiCure,Winferno maybe more- are necessary to my PC?

2 (edited by zEric7x 2009-04-16 01:10:07)

Re: protection

That depends on how you use it. If you visit sites that are questionable they are nice to have. But if you just read your email everyday or something like that you really would not need any antispy ware or virus. I always think it’s worth it to get a free antivirus like avast or avg just in case tho. About registry, I would not suggest cleaning it Inless you have a old computer or one that’s really slow I changing your registry can cause complications and errors could result.  Or at least make sure the program your using makes backups. I mean I’m not saying there not safe. It’s just it could happen.

Marianthi wrote:

Hi,can anybody tell me,please,if all these programs-Cyber Defender,Paretologic,RegiCure,Winferno maybe more- are necessary to my PC?

Cyber Defender is a nice program if you want to shell out the cash. The others I have found to be ineffective in testing versions available 2/2009.

zEric7x wrote:

That depends on how you use it. If you visit sites that are questionable they are nice to have. But if you just read your email everyday or something like that you really would not need any antispy ware or virus. I always think it’s worth it to get a free antivirus like avast or avg just in case tho. About registry, I would not suggest cleaning it Inless you have a old computer or one that’s really slow I changing your registry can cause complications and errors could result.  Or at least make sure the program your using makes backups. I mean I’m not saying there not safe. It’s just it could happen.

CCleaner (Piriform) is SAFE for use on registry!

Use CCleaner for cleaning unnecessary files, registry, and unwanted cookies from Windows. CCleaner will prompt you to back up the registry values (advised). I've tested this freeware product on several of my own systems, and market-tested on about 20 associated systems and networks. It works and it's safe. The only registry values it ever adjusts are those dealing with install/uninstall, activeX, null/orphaned value, and temp reloc. Out of about 40 systems I know of, there has not been a single issue with any of them.

Also, ANYONE going on the Internet should most definitely have ACTIVE Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and a good Firewall functioning on their system. Email is how 90% of viruses are spread!

5 (edited by Bill 2009-05-13 23:21:51)

Be very careful with "registry cleaners". They can, and quite often will, remove entries that are still needed by other programs. As was mentioned, make sure the program makes a backup of your registry first.

You might want to take a look at this site.

http://www.registrycleanerstested.org/reviews.php