Topic: Goodbye floppy!

Sony announced on Friday that it would end Japanese sales of the 3.5-inch floppy disk in March 2011, according to a report in the Mainichi Daily newspaper.

The 3.5-inch floppy was a ubiquitous and necessary component for storing and transferring files between personal computers for nearly three decades. Sony pioneered the 3.5-inch floppy disk in 1981, eventually replacing the 5.25-inch floppy disk that had previously been the popular storage format. The company controls nearly 70 percent of the floppy-disk market.

However, as the size of files and programs grew, the floppy disk was pushed aside by inexpensive and larger-format storage medium. Thanks to the creation of storage methods such as CDs, DVDs, Zip and USB drives, Sony saw its Japanese sales of floppies decline from a record 47 million disks in fiscal 2002 to 12 million in fiscal 2009.

For more on this story, see Sony delivers floppy disk's last rites on CNET News.

Re: Goodbye floppy!

I can't say that I'm going to miss the Floppy. Read error bad sector still gives me nightmares smile

That's it for floppy disk.

Before when I write my research paper, I use the floppy to save my data, when bad luck comes, when the disk is broken, I have to do it all over again. I hate those days

They ONLY sold 12 million??  To who?   I haven't seen floppy readers in a new computer for years!

I am also missing floppy..

Missing floppy, smile

Bob Krampetz wrote:

They ONLY sold 12 million??  To who?   I haven't seen floppy readers in a new computer for years!

I was wondering exactly the same thing... Did they buy those floppies to be used in their Windows 3.1 machine or something?!

A little sorry to hear that

I've still got a box &1/2 about the place some where &1/2 doz ezflyer disks, I could hook up one of the old machines to us them sometime !.

Hello how are you today  big_smile

I am also forget  floppy.

when

Neva Wolin wrote:

Before when I write my research paper, I use the floppy to save my data, when bad luck comes, when the disk is broken, I have to do it all over again. I hate those days

i can do it

I have the time to use floppy disk at the past. I miss it

yikes

this is only floppy disk? sad

I just remember that Once upon a time I used to save everything in Floppy.....Otherwise I forgot about it, totally. sad

I'm not missing floppy at all  hmm

I'm not surprised, who need these diskettes, only as a curiosity store ..