Topic: Problem running SI on 64

I have windows 7 on 64bit arch.  I have had si running for years on this system.  I had noted a few weeks ago that si never finishes the online checking for versions.  I thought I'd just wait for an upgrade and then try again.  Well I installed 1.3.1092-0 after completely removing the old version (1.2.something...).  It uninstalled OK and the new version installed ok.  But just like the old version it just stops.  On the new version when the initial screen when the words Software Informer are the progress gauge.  It gets to the final r and then just does stops.   It doesn't seem to do anything to the system as I can simple use task manager to stop it and all seems well.  I've tried many ways to uninstall reboot reinstall reboot start.  All ends the same.  I don't know what to look at here or if this is a bug with 64bit arch.  Any advise?

2 (edited by zen-archer 2014-06-24 15:46:45)

Re: Problem running SI on 64

Tom wrote:

Hello, Zen!

Would you be willing to help us solve the issue and understand the problem you've stumbled upon?
It'd be great if you could send us an archive of the following folder:

%APPDATA% / Software Informer
(that'd a folder)

to the following email address: sisupport@informer.com
Please, put "SI Client Bug Report. Archive" as the Title.

Yes I would...  but guess what?  There is no folder.  My appdata points to
C:\Users\<username removed>\AppData\Roaming
and under it there is no 'Software Informer' folder...

When I did my last uninstall I had it remove everything.  So for some reason the startup isn't creating it?

I do have si running on a few other systems that are all 32bit...

Tom wrote:

That is quite strange indeed,

1) Could you please check if the user account you are working under has administrative privileges?
2) And if it's not too much trouble, could you try to create a file in the AppData folder to see if that's possible under your account?

We appreciate your cooperation.

1.  Yes I'm administrator user
2.  I created C:\Users\<username removed>\AppData\Roaming\Software Informer\test.txt with no problem.

So I reinstalled and started it up and this time there are files in the dir I created (step 2 above).  However, again in never gets past the initial screen.

Sorry it took me a week to get back to ya but I was on vacation!

I sent the archive email to sisupport@informer.com

I included a snapshot of where it just stops...

Tom wrote:

Hello, Zen!

Thank you, we received your email, a ticket has been assigned to the coder,
Unfortunately, though, now our coder is going on vacation, and it's likely he won't be able to fix the issue before he leaves,
I apologize in advance for a possible delay.

Seems like a nice long vacation!

Well that is strange because I use microsoft's security essenstials and on my 32 bit systems si works fine.  I can try and turn off real-time protection...  But I think something else is going on!

Windows 11 and Windows 10 let you choose when and how to get the latest updates to keep your device running smoothly and securely. To manage your options and see any available updates, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates. Install any available updates, and then restart your computer if the updates require it.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez